pla | Phillip Lehn Architect
Sakya Monastery of Tibetan Buddhism
Portico, Library, Mahakala Shrine and Stupa Additions
An early site plan showing the existing Monastery and the proposed Portico, Library, Mahakala Shrine and Memorial Stupa Additions. The City initially rejected and opposed Sakya Monastery's application for the lot coverage variance needed to build the additions, but later approved the variance in a public hearing.
Originally built in1929 as a neighborhood Presbyterian Church, it later became a Baptist church before it was purchased in1984 by His Holiness Jigdal Dagchen Sakya, the first high Tibetan lama to immigrate to the United States and the eldest of a sacred Tibetan family lineage unbroken for more than 1000 years. Through his, his wife, Her Eminence Dagmo Kusho's, his brother, His Holiness Trinley Sakyapa's, and His Eminence Dezhung Rinpoche's prayers, teachings, guidance and conduct, and their devoted followers' generous donations and eager labors, the building was gradually transformed into Sakya Monastery, the nation's first Monastery of Tibetan Buddhism. Improvements have included fire separations to permit both residential and public assembly uses, leveling the sanctuary's sloping floor, reroofing the building, refinishing exterior and interior walls and ceilings, adding flag poles, sacred statuary and wall paintings, and adding its Portico, Library, Office, Mahakala Shrine, and His Eminence Dezhung Rinpoche Memorial Stupa and Prayer Wheels.